Hydroxycitric acid is a naturally-occurring chemical in a tropical fruit called Garcinia cambogia or Garcinia gummi-gutta, and has gained popularity in recent years as weight loss agent. HCA is heavily marketed in fat burning agents; but despite all the hype, there are no concrete studies yet available to prove its efficacy, however, it’s one of highest selling weight loss supplement. It is available in various forms and interestingly, it is extracted from the rinds of a variety of tamarind, also called “Malabar Tamarind,” which is extensively used in cooking in South India, especially Kerala. Interestingly, this fruit has a tart and sour taste in its dried form and lends a unique taste to curries.
How Does HCA Help With Weight Loss?
Though there is no concrete evidence or research to establish strong links of HCA with weight loss, it is popularly used to aid weight loss along with clean eating and exercise. It allegedly helps with weight loss by:
1. Controlling appetite.
2. Inhibits an enzyme that helps fat storage in the body.
3. Rich in vitamin C.
4. Helps to lower cholesterol.
5. May reduce blood sugar levels.
6. Improves exercise endurance.
7. Thought to increase serotonin which helps to relieve stress (lower stress levels also help with weight loss).
Where Can you Find HCA Naturally?
It is found in the rinds of Garcinia cambogia, Garcinia atroviridis, and Garcinia indica. It is also found in certain varieties of Hibiscus flower, such as subdariffa and rosa-sinensis.
Why There is Controversy Surrounding HCA?
HCA is a much-hyped supplement; however, doctors do not approve of any such supplement for weight loss. Only healthy eating and regular exercise can help one drop weight without any side effects. Even though HCA is marketed heavily, FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has not approved of it in any form for consumption. It is also not recommended to be taken in any form in pregnant women or lactating mothers. Interestingly, since it is thought to lower blood sugar levels, it is not at all recommended in people who have diabetes. Common side effects that are seen with HCA are nausea, headache, dizziness, etc.
Instead of depending on supplements that claim to help with weight loss, it would be prudent to try healthy means such as dieting and clean eating (Rati Beauty diet programs are based on clean eating) and regular exercise routine to help you shed weight the healthy way without the chances of developing any side effects.
Here are some Natural Supplements to Lose Weight:
1. Vitamin D: Vitamin D is not only needed for strong and healthy bones, it also boosts immunity. When you get vitamin D through natural means, it helps burn more fat in the body. This way, your fat will be utilized as energy rather than getting stored in the body.
2. Calcium: Calcium is found in fat cells and helps to move fat out of the cells. A decrease in calcium will increase storage of fat in the body.
3. Green Tea: Green tea, as we all know, can boost weight loss, by supplying antioxidants to the body and by getting rid of water retention. Green tea is also an excellent source of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), an antioxidant that promotes fat burning and the loss of belly fat. Hence adding a cup or two of green tea may level up your fat burning potential
4. Protein: When you consume protein, it increases the levels of the satiety hormones, thereby reducing appetite. In order to lose weight fast, you need to consume more protein and less of carbohydrates and fats. This way, you boost satiety hormones and keep the hunger hormones in check, which in turn means that you will be less likely to binge and eat calories. It is believed that what you eat is what you are. If you notice women who are in good shape, we bet they are on a healthy diet with high protein value in it. So, let’s have a look at how protein helps with weight loss. Here’s a list of high-protein food that helps with weight loss.
5. Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Salmon, mackerel, and some other fatty fish have omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to reduce inflammation and decrease heart disease risk. It is also believed that the omega-3 fatty acids may promote fat loss. It also decreases production of stress hormones which are associated with fat storage. Fish is also rich in protein, which directly helps with weight loss.
Therefore, as mentioned above, there is no concrete evidence yet about the efficacy of HCA with respect to weight loss. We cannot stress enough the importance of exercise and diet to have a positive impact on weight loss. So, eat your way to lose weight safely.
Foods that Break Down the Belly Fat
How High Protein Diet Can Help you Lose Weight
The post Can HCA Help with Weight Loss? appeared first on Makeupandbeauty.com.